Lifeguard Course December 2022
15 years of age or older
December 19-21 2022
10am - 4pm
Leo and Joan Mahoney Wellness Center
*** This class is FULL! Please email Jeff Fiore to be added to the waitlist- firstname.lastname@example.org
Prerequisites: Participants must be 15 years of age or older to take the course, which is an American Red Cross “blended learning” course. Swimmers must complete approximately eight hours of online work prior to first day of class. Proof of completion is required to participate in the pool portion of the course. More information will be sent after registration.
Swim Assessment: A swim assessment must be completed before Friday, December 9, 2022, in order for the student to attend classroom sessions. Upon registration you will receive confirmation from Jeff Fiore, aquatics coordinator, to schedule the assessment. If the candidate is unable to complete the assessment, they will not be able to continue with the course and will be refunded. Test criteria are:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for two minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of seven to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.