Fine Arts: Nature Journaling
Week 7 July 24-28, 2023
Morning (9am – 12noon)
Dates: July 24 – July 28, 2023
Faculty: Ms. Rachel Fondel
Nature journaling is the practice of getting outdoors and recording what you see, both big and small, in an effort to better understand and appreciate the world around you. Sketches and splashes of color are typically accompanied by labels, observations, questions, and reflections. Those who dive into the habit of nature journaling on a regular basis find that it boosts critical thinking and improves drawing ability. Join us as we unplug and head into the field with a sketchbook and a few simple art supplies!
This weeklong course runs July 24-28 from 9:00-12:00. Each three hour session includes tips and tricks for getting started with nature journaling, a handout of the day’s focus skills, a mixture of time outdoors and time in the studio, a snack/movement break, and individual feedback.
When students finish your class, what will they know and be able to do?
Students will be able to…
- Set up a nature journal, exploring a variety of page templates after creating an index of original prompts
- Observe, learn, practice curiosity, connect deeply with nature, think critically and creatively
- Complete loose, plein air pencil and ink sketches of natural elements and landscapes
- Use watercolor washes to add life to sketches (in the studio and on the go)
- Begin to incorporate “shadow shapes” into sketches and explore value when sketching (moving beyond contour)
Please click here to view our Summer 2023 Policies, including deposit and refund information.